Herongate Tenant Coalition
Ottawa South stands in solidarity with the Herongate Tenant Coalition.
The Herongate Tenant Coalition was formed to protect the people living in the Herongate neighborhood from the greed of developers who have been tearing down buildings and evicting community members. They are acting to stop builders, such as Timbercreek Asset Management, from destroying our neighbor’s homes in the name of profit. Not only are these actions having negative effects our friends and families by tearing the bonds that keep our community strong, they are also changing the face of the neighborhood, gentrifying it, and making it increasingly inaccessible to live in.
We stand in solidarity with the people of Herongate and condemn the attitudes and disregard of Ottawa city council members councilor Jean Cloutier and mayor Jim Watson, the provincial government and MPP John Fraser, and the federal government and MP David McGuinty along with their parties and affiliates. Their inaction had contributed to these problems and perpetuate them.
Here are newspaper articles describing the horrors faced by the residents of Herongate
- CBC News – 27 September 2018 – The long demise of Heron Gate
- Al Jazeera – 21 August 2018 – Heron Gate mass eviction: ‘We never expected this in Canada’
- Ottawa Citizen – 15 August 2018 – Battle lines drawn in Heron Gate, where an evicted community doesn’t plan on leaving
- Ricochet – 10 August 2018 – The brutal economic logic of Ottawa’s Heron Gate evictions
- Vice News – 27 July 2018 – THE STORY OF THE ‘LARGEST URBAN EVICTION CAMPAIGN’ IN CANADA
We are with the Herongate community.
To donate to the Herongate Legal Defense Fund – Click here
To learn more about the issues facing Herongate, go to the Herongate Tenant Coalition website.